Monday, November 18, 2013

Tolerance in a Picture (The arts and social studies)

We were all assigned to take picture of something that represented the concept of harmony, tolerance, civic responsibility, patriotism, or citizenship. Our pictures could not have any people in them, which would have made the one I was assigned, a bit easier. It helped me think outside the box though. The pictures we usually see about tolerance that include people are people of different color or race holding hands. That is what I would have taken a picture of. I still wanted to take a picture of something that represented the tolerance of diversity and uniqueness in others. I decided to go with different colored streamers, strewn across a box with a hole in it. I taped the ends of the streamers to the box, so they would stay in place, then I put a weight on top of them to see if these fragile, delicate steamers could hold the weight. They did. I wanted to show that together, we can take on the "heaviness" of the world, but it is not just going to take one of us or a "group" of us. It takes all of us, black or white, American, or Asian, introverted and out going, to keep from falling in.






No comments:

Post a Comment